Friday, November 9, 2007

Friday Morning !

After a dinner of Chinese take out, and a hectic work week I was too tired to post yesterday. Went back, and layed down on the bed, started to channel surf, and was soon joined by my youngest son, and our beagle pup. Not long after all three of us were out. The wife fell asleep on the sofa watching her Thursday night sitcoms. I awoke once in the wee hours of the morning for a bathroom visit, and when I returned to the warmth of the bed, I glanced over,and was greeted by the sight of canine, and kid both wrapped in blanket sound asleep, in total comfort. My heart was in total comfort too. Not long after I was out again, all three of us in synchronistic slumber.

There is nothing better than the warmth of family, and home to soothe tired muscles, and frazzled nerves.

With that said I usually work 4-10 hour days, but the past few weeks our work load required us to come in the past few Fridays, so here I am at the kitchen table with hot cup of Joe, relishing the one day of the week that is totally dedicated to me,.......at least until school lets out.This is the one day of the week that I can indulge in my narcissistic side. After helping the wife get the kids ready for school, and seeing them, and her off, I can relish the absolute peace, and quiet for the next 6-7 hrs., until that tsunami of youthfulness, in the form of three young men, once again comes crashing through the door, with all their demands.

Later in the morning, I may lay down once again, to take advantage of the silence. The only thing better would be some rain, to pitter-patter against the siding of the house, to serenade me off to dreamland for an hour or two.

Frank Sinatra once said:

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”


Well said Frankie baby, but this morning I think I'll stick to coffee, and bagels, and adhere to the twelve o'clock rule.

I work in Utility construction. I am a foreman in the field, and after a week of cold mornings, and muddy boots, as I sit in the warmth,quiet, and safety of my kitchen here in Virginia, I cant' help but to think of those other guys, and gals with boots on who put their lives on the line for us every day.They are the reason I am sitting here free, in the greatest nation on earth.

I hope for their safe return after our missions are accomplished, and look forward to when they can enjoy the warmth,and peace of their homes, and families again.

I dedicate this song, and this Friday to them.


No comments: